Proposal-writer-sample-job-description (Word document)
Note: This sample job description is provided as an example only. Each section should be carefully updated to reflect your specific requirements prior to being copied and pasted into a GOVPROP job profile.
- Spend about 75% of your time writing and editing (including substantive editing, “single voice” editing, and copyediting) proposals and responses to Requests For Information (RFIs), White Papers, etc., and 25% of your time developing market-facing slicks and marketing collateral for a Federal Government audience.
- Determine proposal concepts by studying requests for proposal (RFPs, RFIs, etc.), attending strategy meetings, and speaking with subject matter experts.
- Gather proposal information by identifying sources of information and interviewing subject matter experts (SMEs) to understand their areas of expertise and develop publications concept that clearly communicate their knowledge.
- Develop proposal content by assembling information and creating solutions/outcomes/benefits outlines and writing compelling text with win themes and differentiators.
Improve proposal-writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approach, coordination, and boilerplates, speaking up to volunteer ideas for improvements, and implementing changes.
- Organize and prepare information and data to write a variety of technical publications for a Federal Government audience requiring in-depth knowledge and understanding of information technology (IT) and management consulting services.
- Support the Proposal Manager throughout the proposal process, meeting proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval, coordinating requirements with contributors, and contributing proposal status information during review meetings.
- Write, revise, and edit drafts of Federal Government proposal responses (including executive summaries and technical, management, past performance, resume, and pricing sections), white papers, responses to Requests For Information (RFIs), and marketing material.
- Edit documents and technical literature prepared by other staff members, for content, coverage, clarity, and voice consistency, recommending revisions and editorial standards as appropriate.
- Maintain quality results by using templates, following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone, and maintaining proposal support databases.
- Contribute to proposal graphics development, supports marketing efforts by developing and writing market collateral materials, and assisting in the design of the company website.
- Technical, management, resume and past performance written proposal material
Out of Scope Items:
- Proposal management
- Oral proposals
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Team player
- 6+ years of technical proposal writing experience in response to Federal Government RFPs, RFIs, and an understanding of the Shipley methodology
- Experience writing technical proposals for software development processes, IT operations, cloud, etc.
- Understanding of win themes, proposal concepts, and the business development lifecycle
- Understanding of the Federal market and government proposals
- Experience working with subject matter experts and graphic designers to create compelling visual images
- Experience writing management and staffing proposal volumes
- Experience generating content for new business development materials